Subscribe to our mailing list to get news, specials and updates:     Name: Email:

Forum >> Topic

Login To Reply

Obtaining discontinued sample sets


I've been promoting the FCCLA sample set, here and on YouTube, but meanwhile it has been discontinued by the producer.

Now people start asking me for a copy of the set.

So, what are the possibilities here? How do people obtain a discontinued set?
by Aida (Ida as in Idaho)
Sep 19, 2019 07:37 AM

Replies (8)

RE: Obtaining discontinued sample sets

There is no legal way. Distributing it without permission/license would be a violation, of course.

The producer (CLR/Evensong) discontinued this set because the contract with the church was overly complicated and wasn't justified by the sales. Also, the samples themselves had issues: much of the organ was not sample chromatically (just every whole tone or every minor 3rd), and so the producer's feeling seemed to be that it was best to put effort into other projects/sample sets that they had.
by CarsonCooman
Sep 19, 2019 11:17 AM

RE: Obtaining discontinued sample sets

CarsonCooman wrote:

There is no legal way. Distributing it without permission/license would be a violation, of course.

The producer (CLR/Evensong) discontinued this set because the contract with the church was overly complicated and wasn't justified by the sales. Also, the samples themselves had issues: much of the organ was not sample chromatically (just every whole tone or every minor 3rd), and so the producer's feeling seemed to be that it was best to put effort into other projects/sample sets that they had.

Carson is exactly right.

There is a slim chance that if someday we were able to renegotiate the contract, it might be made available again, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Furthermore, if that were to happen, it would not take place before the release of HW5... (and before you ask, no, I don't know when that will be - best I can tell you is that we are closer to it than we were last year at this time) [chuckle]

Aida, I think you and others have proven that the instrument sounds far better with some revoicing and judicious addition of convolution reverb - if the day ever comes when HW has native convolution reverb, that would help this (and many other drier sets) very much.

Cheers,

Jonathan

by giwro
Sep 19, 2019 08:56 PM

RE: Obtaining discontinued sample sets

Thanks for explaining, Carson.

As I wrote on this site before, I agree that the sample set was, in my eyes heavily, flawed. Reason why I spent a whole month re-voicing it and still certain parts can hardly be used in an acceptable fashion. And yet it's still one of my favorite sets...
by Aida (Ida as in Idaho)
Sep 19, 2019 08:59 PM

RE: Obtaining discontinued sample sets

Aida (Ida as in Idaho) wrote:

Thanks for explaining, Carson.

As I wrote on this site before, I agree that the sample set was, in my eyes heavily, flawed. Reason why I spent a whole month re-voicing it and still certain parts can hardly be used in an acceptable fashion. And yet it's still one of my favorite sets...

No quibble here with that, I agree. Indeed, it it were ever to be released again, there would be some revoicing.

I'd have to say that the gallery Schlicker seems to be in better balance... at least that's what my ears told me.

by giwro
Sep 19, 2019 09:01 PM

RE: Obtaining discontinued sample sets

Thanks, Jonathan.

I'm not so sure about 'native' convolution reverb. I think it should still be able to add your own reverb to the (semi-)dry samples.
by Aida (Ida as in Idaho)
Sep 19, 2019 09:03 PM

RE: Obtaining discontinued sample sets

giwro wrote:

No quibble here with that, I agree. Indeed, it it were ever to be released again, there would be some revoicing.

I'd have to say that the gallery Schlicker seems to be in better balance... at least that's what my ears told me.

Correct. I hardly needed to revoice the Schlicker bits.

by Aida (Ida as in Idaho)
Sep 19, 2019 09:04 PM

RE: Obtaining discontinued sample sets

Aida (Ida as in Idaho) wrote:

Thanks, Jonathan.

I'm not so sure about 'native' convolution reverb. I think it should still be able to add your own reverb to the (semi-)dry samples.

I would hope if native convolution were included that the VST link would still allow for other solutions, yes. IMHO a native convolution solution would be a great boon to non-technically-savvy HW users, though. :-)

by giwro
Sep 19, 2019 09:05 PM

RE: Obtaining discontinued sample sets

giwro wrote:

I would hope if native convolution were included that the VST link would still allow for other solutions, yes. IMHO a native convolution solution would be a great boon to non-technically-savvy HW users, though. :-)

As long as I can use my own, you won't be hearing me complain. ;-)

by Aida (Ida as in Idaho)
Sep 19, 2019 09:08 PM

Displaying 8 of 8                 Page: