RE: Issues with Hauptwerk 5
I have Hauptwerk 5 running on my Core-i7 PC with 32 GB DDR3 RAM and my sample-sets run nicely, even the big Dudelange organ. One remark: I play stereo over the headphone. I know a friend with a 6 channel installation having some problems. I had some problems with Dudelange, like audio ticks when moving the mouse. But with help from Evert-Jan (pcorgan.com) I got it fixed by changes in the BIOS (disable EIST-Turbo Boost and intel C-State) And I disabled a huge amount of Windows services that are not needed on a standalone HW-PC. No internet, no virus scanner. Domkerk Utrecht runs beautifully, Friesach also and now also Dudelange.
Here is some tranlated info that can help:
Your 3 year old PC doesn't seem too light to me. What should people do with an i3 or i5 processor?
What else do you need for programs, both in the foreground or in the background (so they start automatically without you noticing), run on that PC? By the way, I thought you were on W7 with HW and the other internet-connected partition on W10. Has that also been changed with the upgrade to HW5?
Optimization of the PC. You must then do this:
- Running the processor at a constant speed: https://pcorgel.nl/viewtopic.php?p=32793#p32793
- Disable services: https://pcorgel.nl/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3717
The first is also in the book. The 2nd is the list of W10 services extended compared to the book.
In W10 there are at least background apps. You can turn it off:
- to stop these apps, press the Windows logo key and I key simultaneously
- click on the Privacy icon
- in the General section (the screen that is first visible), set all privacy switches to Off
- scroll down in the left column and choose Activity History. Remove the check marks
- scroll further down in the left column and choose Other devices. Set the switches to Off
- scroll further down in the left column and choose Background apps. Set the switch in the top right of this screen 'Apps may be running in the background' to Off. All switches for the different apps on the same page will therefore also go to Off
- close the settings window
With the free R&D AppBuster program, which can be downloaded from the website www.oo-software.com/en/ooappbuster, you can remove unnecessary apps. The program only works under Windows 10 !!
- start the program as an administrator
- go to 'View' and make sure there are only check marks at 'Group by Type', 'Hidden Apps' and 'Normal Apps'. All apps that can and may be removed are now visible
- check all apps
- go to 'Actions' and click on 'Remove apps'
Close the program when the removal is complete.
This shooting in red was probably also the case with your old audio card. PC is not properly adjusted.
Questions: which Windows version? Which motherboard? Does the PC depend on the internet? Virus scanner active and if so, which?
Computer systems are designed with the underlying idea of ??saving energy. The processor (CPU) runs at variable clock speed: little to do, so low clock speed and much to do than high clock speed.
For Hauptwerk, the processor must run at a constant speed and at a nominal supply voltage.
You must do this in the BIOS. The adjustments, usually found in the BIOS menu for "Overclocking", are:
Intel Turbo Boost Technology, Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology (EIST) and Intel C-State
All 3 must be set to disable.
To properly set up energy management, the following actions must be performed:
- go to Start -> Control Panel -> Power Management
- the Energy Management Schedule is often balanced. Put it on "High Performance". If that is not on the screen, first click on "Show additional schedules"
- then click on "Change the schedule settings"
- set both "Turn off the screen after" and "Put the computer to sleep after" to "never"
Now go to "Change advanced energy settings". Choose the following settings:
- Hard disk -> disable hard disk after -> setting (minutes) = 0 (this changes to 'never' if the mouse is placed elsewhere)
- Settings for the desktop background -> slide show -> paused
- Sleep mode -> sleep mode after -> setting (minutes) = 0 (never)
- USB settings -> selective USB interruption setting -> setting = disabled
- PCI-express settings -> Link Status power management -> setting = disabled
- Display -> switch off display after -> setting (minutes) = 0 (never)
- Power management for processor -> minimum processor status -> setting = 100%
- Power management for processor -> maximum processor status -> setting = 100%.