Subscribe to our mailing list to get news, specials and updates:     Name: Email:

Forum >> Topic

Login To Reply

What do you think of the sound of this organ?


Trying out my new recording mics.... what is your opinion of this organ and the recording?

http://www.evensongmusic.net/?page_id=2439 />
Cheers,

- Jonathan
by giwro
Nov 10, 2017 05:51 PM

Replies (25)

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

Very impressive, Jonathan!
Where has this been recorded?

Any chance you are going to record this organ for a sample set? ;-)

by Aarnoud
Nov 11, 2017 03:48 PM

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

Sounds very good.
What kind of mikes are you using and what is the brand?
( Neumann, AKG, Sennheiser etc...

by EdoL
Nov 12, 2017 02:10 AM

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

Wow, that sounds great. Where is this organ?

by thways
Nov 12, 2017 05:20 AM

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

Aarnoud wrote:

Very impressive, Jonathan!
Where has this been recorded?

Any chance you are going to record this organ for a sample set? ;-)

This is the organ at St. Mary’s Basilica in Minneapolis Minnesota USA:
http://www.mary.org/liturgical-celebrations/music/basilica-organ

It would make a wonderful sample set... you never know what might happen. :-)

by giwro
Nov 12, 2017 11:47 AM

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

EdoL wrote:

Sounds very good.
What kind of mikes are you using and what is the brand?
( Neumann, AKG, Sennheiser etc...

A matched pair of Earthworks QTC-1. They really capture great detail as well as wide frequency.

by giwro
Nov 12, 2017 11:50 AM

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

thways wrote:

Wow, that sounds great. Where is this organ?

See stoplist link above... glad you enjoyed it!

by giwro
Nov 12, 2017 11:52 AM

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

It certainly is a grand sound and not at all what one would think of when the name Wicks is mentioned. Interesting history of the instrument posted on that web site. The microphones do an excellent job of picking up the dynamic range of the organ.

Henry ( Harry ) Vincent Willis was employed by Welte when he first arrived in the US and when that firm collapsed he went to work for Midmer-Losh. He worked on the Atlantic City Convention Hall (now Boardwalk Hall) organ and was involved with some of the 100 wind pressure stops. When that work was completed he moved first to Kilgen and then to Wicks.

by DenverSymphonic
Nov 13, 2017 12:01 AM

by woody-mc
Nov 13, 2017 04:58 PM

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

DenverSymphonic wrote:

It certainly is a grand sound and not at all what one would think of when the name Wicks is mentioned. Interesting history of the instrument posted on that web site. The microphones do an excellent job of picking up the dynamic range of the organ.

Henry ( Harry ) Vincent Willis was employed by Welte when he first arrived in the US and when that firm collapsed he went to work for Midmer-Losh. He worked on the Atlantic City Convention Hall (now Boardwalk Hall) organ and was involved with some of the 100 wind pressure stops. When that work was completed he moved first to Kilgen and then to Wicks.

The Willis connection does make a huge difference. I have some other recordings done with my old mics - they are nice, but pale in comparison to these.

Glad you enjoyed it!

by giwro
Nov 14, 2017 12:02 PM

RE: What do you think of the sound of this organ?

woody-mc wrote:

Sounds absolutely stunning and impressive!

This one offered great clarity, powerful bass reproduction and a perfect impression of the building's depth on my speaker setup, rendered in both 2.0 and 7.1 stereo*. Not to mention that both the organ itself and the performance are a pure delight. This tuba is a winning competitor even for the full organ!

The only thing I'm afraid of is that I finally *HAVE* to buy new computer hardware once the set is out to meet the RAM requirements (which I presume will be WAY beyond 16 GiB). ;-)

Thanks for sharing the recording, Jonathan!

---
7.1 stereo = LEFT on FL,SL,BL; RIGHT on FR,SR,BR; LEFT+RIGHT merged to mono on C+LFE

Well, Carsten,

Don't buy a new PC just yet. If it were to be sampled it would be a long process, as it is many ranks, and the building is very busy.

Fun to think about, though. ;-)

by giwro
Nov 14, 2017 12:03 PM

Displaying 10 of 25                 Page: