Charles Burney FRS (7 April 1726 – 12 April 1814) was an English music historian, composer and musician. He was born the son of a musician, dancer and portrait painter. He began formal education at Shrewsbury School in 1737 and was later sent in 1739 to The King's School, Chester, where his father then lived and worked. His first music master was a Mr Baker, the cathedral organist, and a pupil of Dr John Blow. Returning to Shrewsbury at the age of 15, Burney continued his musical studies for three years under his half-brother, James Burney, organist of St Mary's Church, and was then sent to London as a pupil of Dr Thomas Arne for three years.
Burney wrote some music for Thomson's Alfred, which was produced at Drury Lane Theatre, and in 1749 he was appointed organist of St Dionis Backchurch, Fenchurch Street, with a salary of £30 a year. He was also engaged to take the harpsichord in the "New Concerts" then recently established at the King's Arms, Cornhill. It was for his health that he went in 1751 to Lynn Regis in Norfolk, where he was elected organist, with an annual salary of £100. He lived there for nine years. During that time he began to entertain the idea of writing a general history of music. His Ode for St Cecilia's Day was performed at Ranelagh Gardens in 1759. In 1760 he returned to London in good health and with a young family.
The University of Oxford honored Burney, on 23 June 1769, with the degrees of Bachelor and Doctor of Music, and his own work was performed.
Amidst his various professional avocations, Burney never lost sight of his main project, his "History of Music,". an important and extensive work, which first appeared in print in 1776.
"Cornet V" comes from "VI Cornet Pieces", published in London c. 1751. It shows the fine cornet of the Choir organ.
The score is attached below, as well as a painting of Burney, and a drawing of St. Dionis Backchurch, Fenchurch Street, where Burney was appointed organist in 1749.