Subscribe to our mailing list to get news, specials and updates:     Name: Email:

Forum >> Topic

To Reply

The impending Update: Hauptwerk V

Hi all,

An updated version of Hauptwerk (version five, or "Hauptwerk V") is about to be launched. Apart from the "usual" questions:

- will it be an improvement?
- will it be worth it? and
- is it inevitable as an update that "we all must" eventually purchase?

... I also note from the Hauptwerk website that there will be, as I understand it, a NEW way of "auto-updates" in the style of e.g. the Windows Operating System.

From a commercial perspective I can understand Milan's intent: to subscribe to the "auto-update", Milan will charge a monthly fee of $9,99. In return, the subcriber "will never pay" for an update anymore.

I'm not too keen to fall for this payment trick: I would insist on maintaining my own FULL CONTROL over whether or not I want an update, and when to purchase this. It's an option still available, but I can see that Milan could eventually move permanently and exclusively to the "auto-update for a monthly fee" option.

I sure DON'T LIKE THAT development at all. I'm not interested in lining the pockets of Milan on a monthly basis. I want to evaluate ANY update, consider its cost and price, before deciding whether to buy or not to buy.

Your thoughts - now --- and also more later if and when you've moved to install the updated Version Five?

Jack
by jacko
Nov 18, 2019 09:00 AM

Replies (74)

RE: The impending Update: Hauptwerk V

I've not had an email about it or a promo code and I purchased advance from them three years ago.

Wow - a week to use the promo code, if you ever get it. What a nice merry Christmas... You think they'd do it for a reasonable time. But then maybe if people have time to think about it then they might not be interested when they see it offers not a lot new.
by gooseh
Dec 10, 2019 04:32 AM

gooseh wrote:

I've not had an email about it or a promo code and I purchased advance from them three years ago.

Wow - a week to use the promo code, if you ever get it. What a nice merry Christmas... You think they'd do it for a reasonable time. But then maybe if people have time to think about it then they might not be interested when they see it offers not a lot new.

Less than a week -- promo expires on Sunday at midnight it seems.

Regarding Jacko's earlier post: now that you point it out -- it's true: the email with the promotion code was the very first announcement of HW 5 by MDA direct to its customers.

And you're right to find it strange that they never bothered to announce anything previously or explain. They don't even explain anything now even though it would have been so easy to combine sending the code with a nicely worded invitation to upgrade that would have detailed the reasons and advantages of doing so!

On Facebook some just called this roll-out a textbook example of bad marketing. And how are you to have confidence in a company like that?

Add to that that it seems countless people have spent countless hours in the last two days trying to download installation files that were corrupted because of a faulty server or website configuration at MDA's end!! (Not to mention a new web presence that is only partly functional.)

by einer_von_weitem
Dec 10, 2019 12:17 PM

JUST POSTED ON HAUPTWERK FORUM :

Just some news about HW5, according to the new official manual user :

1. 90% of the new manual is a copy from the manual for HW4.2. so 10% are new, that's really a big improvement !!! 6 years working for such a result ! in my job you'll get the sack to be so improductiv.

2. From these 10%, some extracts about improvements are clearly written in esoteric langage, but without dictionary. We're not CHampollion wo understood egytian writing !!!! We just needed 3000 years to understand hieroglyphs.

3. HW5 can only work with computers equipped with a dongle, (don't forget your 50$ ilock dongle !, not offered in the 400$ upgrade.....not even for Christmas)

4. If you have any problem (but that's sure you'll not have.....) you must contact PACE...... and must pay to have a support and any answer ! (how many from this bill will come back to MDA ????)

5. If the softawre doesn't find any licence.... he consideres you have an evaluating version during 14 days.... and then you must buy a new licence !!!!!!!

6. MDA samples will be free for test during 7 days before you enter a licence, I must say that's not the most important problem. For new samples or the old one...... at the same price, of course...... I think that the parish of Cappel doesn't want to hear from you...... please, be serious !

7. Lite edition is like advanced 4.2 but with limitations (polyphony, wind, sound only stereo, no reverb, no multiscreen, no pistons toolls........... clearly, nothing at all to test !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) . SO, to improve the new demo version of HW5, you've just to play your more complete HW4.2 edition !!!!! It's a joke !

8. You must reinstall your ILOCK licence every year before anniversary..... if not; I let you imagine the mess !!!!

9 If you lose your ILOCK dongle, you can't become others licences........ to say in short "you're fucked", otherwise you must pay again to play your favorite samples who where on the lost dongle....... Please, suscrible a monthly insurance too...(we can suggest to MDA to propose insurance service too).... pay for upgrade, pay for lose, pay for insurance, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay and so on.

HW5 is very funny, indeed !
by DominiqueD
Dec 10, 2019 03:26 PM

DominiqueD wrote:

JUST POSTED ON HAUPTWERK FORUM :

Just some news about HW5, according to the new official manual user :

1. 90% of the new manual is a copy from the manual for HW4.2. so 10% are new, that's really a big improvement !!! 6 years working for such a result ! in my job you'll get the sack to be so improductiv.

2. From these 10%, some extracts about improvements are clearly written in esoteric langage, but without dictionary. We're not CHampollion wo understood egytian writing !!!! We just needed 3000 years to understand hieroglyphs.

3. HW5 can only work with computers equipped with a dongle, (don't forget your 50$ ilock dongle !, not offered in the 400$ upgrade.....not even for Christmas)

4. If you have any problem (but that's sure you'll not have.....) you must contact PACE...... and must pay to have a support and any answer ! (how many from this bill will come back to MDA ????)

5. If the softawre doesn't find any licence.... he consideres you have an evaluating version during 14 days.... and then you must buy a new licence !!!!!!!

6. MDA samples will be free for test during 7 days before you enter a licence, I must say that's not the most important problem. For new samples or the old one...... at the same price, of course...... I think that the parish of Cappel doesn't want to hear from you...... please, be serious !

7. Lite edition is like advanced 4.2 but with limitations (polyphony, wind, sound only stereo, no reverb, no multiscreen, no pistons toolls........... clearly, nothing at all to test !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!) . SO, to improve the new demo version of HW5, you've just to play your more complete HW4.2 edition !!!!! It's a joke !

8. You must reinstall your ILOCK licence every year before anniversary..... if not; I let you imagine the mess !!!!

9 If you lose your ILOCK dongle, you can't become others licences........ to say in short "you're fucked", otherwise you must pay again to play your favorite samples who where on the lost dongle....... Please, suscrible a monthly insurance too...(we can suggest to MDA to propose insurance service too).... pay for upgrade, pay for lose, pay for insurance, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay, pay and so on.

HW5 is very funny, indeed !

translation problem .... "you're fooled" and not 'you're f...."

by DominiqueD
Dec 10, 2019 04:46 PM

jacko wrote:

My MIDWOLDA purchase: three days ago I bought the Sonus Paradisi Midwolda set. Immediately I submitted a Licence Update request via the HW website, citing the invoice number and attaching the Licence Update Request File.

Yesterday HW replied to me - - - by asking me to submit a Licence Update Request via its website -- which I had already done. I complied, and sent the same file, using the same page on the website.

Just now I noticed the OLD WEBSITE HAS GONE. The template for the new website is UP AND RUNNING. You cannot contact them for general questions, it seems.

https://www.hauptwerk.com/

Will my messages be kept in the hubbub of the transition 'excitement'??? Not sure whether I trust MDA to keep me safe!

-------------------

And Gooseh wrote:

"You mean the irony that in an attempt to make it more secure the effect is sample set makers get fed up because they have lost a substantial source of income (HW users sticking to v4) and thus decide to sell less secure sample sets?"

Yeah. If the new HW version splits the community deep enough there will be two worlds anyway: HW4 users and HW5 users. Sampleset makers can join the "encryption planet" or the unencrypted planet. Which way will it swing?

Just had an email conversation with Sonus Paradisi about the lack of action by Milan re my MIDWOLDA Licence Update.

They offered up that they're frustrated with Milan about "poor service" in recent months; they said it has been really poor since at least 3 months - not updating Dongles etc. And about the Sonus Paradisi customers: "my users are not happy. That is the worst what can happen."

Anyway, Sonus Paradisi is happy to refund my purchase of the MIDWOLDA sampleset if Hauptwerk does not do the right thing and acts to update my HW4 Licence.

by jacko
Dec 11, 2019 01:33 AM

jacko wrote:

Just had an email conversation with Sonus Paradisi about the lack of action by Milan re my MIDWOLDA Licence Update.

They offered up that they're frustrated with Milan about "poor service" in recent months; they said it has been really poor since at least 3 months - not updating Dongles etc. And about the Sonus Paradisi customers: "my users are not happy. That is the worst what can happen."

Anyway, Sonus Paradisi is happy to refund my purchase of the MIDWOLDA sampleset if Hauptwerk does not do the right thing and acts to update my HW4 Licence.

I'm waiting for a license update for the HERVER-HILL sample set. Mda has my update request file since November 28th, and still nothing.
Given what's happening, and seeing what's written in the forums, I'll never ever update it

by Anto800
Dec 11, 2019 04:10 AM

Anto800 wrote:

I'm waiting for a license update for the HERVER-HILL sample set. Mda has my update request file since November 28th, and still nothing.
Given what's happening, and seeing what's written in the forums, I'll never ever update it

I can WELL understand that!

Try "being a pain in the arse" - there's a new form page under "support" for submitting Licence updates requests. I've already used it (after twice through the old website), and I'm going to submit the same update request every 3 days or so.

I've been thinking that this is nearly the time that Hauptwerk 1) is sold or changes hands (seems Brett Milan is sick of doing his work) or 2) begins to go down and go bust (emergency take-over). Maybe HW5 saves the project - or maybe not at all.

by jacko
Dec 11, 2019 04:23 AM

A post on the HW Forum that's worth reading:

Gerrit Veldman: I lost my trust in MDA

Post - Thu Dec 12, 2019 6:23 am

See http://forum.hauptwerk.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=17961

Jack
by jacko
Dec 12, 2019 08:39 AM

WHERE IS BRETT MILAN ???

Hi all,

I have only limited access to the Hauptwerk website Forum (because my application for an access ID when I paid and installed my Advanced HW Licence was never replied to, approved or confirmed by MDS).

Therefore my question "where is Brett Milan" cannot be fully answered. But in the context of MDA's appalling performance record in the last 4-5 months in provoding Dongle Updates, I've developed thoughts that Brett Milan may be ill, or very ill.

My question: has ANYONE noticed "signs of life" from Brett Milan on the Forum or elsewhere? Is he still 'visible' somewhere to you?

This is not a matter of me trying to be a 'voyeur' or trying to mingle in someone's private business. But, if he is unwell or perhaps "very" ill, then there's an explanation of the appalling business performance -- including the roll-out of HW5 and "keeping in touch" with Hauptwerk's customer base.

Just trying to get some answers where MDA as a business should have given these answers to us as their customer base.

Jack
by jacko
Dec 13, 2019 04:23 AM

Brett Milan ill? It never occurred to me. And no, I have not seen any evidence of that anywhere. By the way, the forum is fully accessible to anyone whether registered or not, is that not right? I am registered but I don't need to log in to view posts, so I assume you could simply read everything there too?

It is certainly true that B.M. rarely says anything or gives any sign that he even exists. Occasionally though he does, at least posts on the forum are in his name and I have no reason to believe they are not really his. MDA's behaviour has certainly been erratic and recent posts trying to calm the waters have been signed by Michelle Qualley on the forum and are in her style on Facebook (on the HW Facebook page they are just signed "Author", apparently meaning the person who runs the page).

But, to repeat, Brett Milan has not been much of a presence for a very long time now so no change there really.
by einer_von_weitem
Dec 13, 2019 04:46 AM

Displaying 60 of 74                 Page: