Flemming Chr. Hansen (b. 1968) — Ten Lord’s Prayer Meditations (2016) for organ
1. Our Father, who art in heaven
2. Hallowed be thy name
3. Thy kingdom come
4. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven
5. Give us this day our daily bread
6. Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us
7. Lead us not into temptation
8. Deliver us from evil
9. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, for ever
“Ten Lord’s Prayer Meditations” (“Ti Fadervor-meditationer”) (2016) was commissioned by the Lolland-Falster diocese in celebration of the 500th anniversary of the Protestant Reformation in 2017. The composer sought to create a series of contemplative movements, each of which reflects on a different phrase of the Lord’s Prayer. Musically, the composer uses a number of compositional techniques, including quasi-minimalist additive processes. The mood throughout is one of calm, inviting prayerful reflection.
Danish composer and organist Flemming Chr. Hansen (b. 1968) was educated at the Royal Danish Academy of Music and has held several church positions in Denmark. He has concertized across Denmark and has taught organ at several institutions. As a composer, he has written works in many genres, including a large scale cycle of organ suites entitled “In lumine Domini” that combines contemporary minimalist and open form techniques with the parameters of organ service music.