|Producer:||Augustine's Virtual Organs|
In Roman times Komárom was a major frontier town (Brigetio). Komárom played a significant role in the Hungarian War of Independence (1848-49) and it was built the biggest battle system in the Austro-Hungarian Empire. In 1918 - under the Treaty of Trianon - the city was attached to Czehoslovakia. The city is currently in Slovakia, although the population is almost 65% of Hungarian mother tongue. The population is 37,000
The predecessor of Andrew Holy Church was built between 1674-77. The church was ruined in the big earthquake of Komárom in 1763. The church was rebuilt in Baroque style in 1768-71. The Holy Andrew church is the largest church of Komárom.
The original organ was built by Carl Friedrich Ferdinand Buckow between 1860-64. The Prussian Buckow was born in 1801 in Danzig. He studied with masters Schinkel and Grünberg and studied German and English and French organ building. His workshop was in Vienna and he built 54 organs. The organ of Andrew church was the largest and most recent work of Buckow. Buckow died two weeks before the transfer of the organ. The romantic organ with 42 stops was one of the largest organ in Hungary. In that time there was no such organ in Buda or Pest nor in Pozsony (Bratislava). In 1899 the Rieger brothers expanded it to nine registers and partially rebuilt the organ. Since then, no changes have been made. This is both gratifying because the organ is preserved in its original state, on the other hand it is sad, because the organ is a state of disrepair. (Most severely damaged are the bottom octaves of the 16-foot registers and the mixtures. Unfortunately the nature of the errors does not allow for full virtually recovery.)
|# of uploads with organ:||105|
|# of users uploaded using organ:||7|
Fantasy and Fugue on the chorale "Ad nos, ad salutarem undam" (Popup Player)
Andante in D (Popup Player)