|Producer:||Augustine's Virtual Organs|
The Naxxar parish church was one of the ten parishes found to be existing by Bishop De Mello in 1436 and the villages of Mosta and Għargħur were subject to it. De Mello listed it as one of the ten parishes of Malta and it was the first parish dedicated to Our Lady after that of the old cathedral in Mdina.
The present church was built between 1616 and 1630 when there were 1200 inhabitants in Naxxar and it was felt that a larger church was needed. The design was made by Tumas Dingli, one of the best architects of the time. The church also has two transepts and a nave and is 130 feet (40 m) long. The width of the transept is 94 feet (29 m) and the nave 30 feet (9.1 m)
In 1775, Sicilian organbuilder Santucci completed a one manual organ for the parish church of Naxxar. After many repairs by various organbuilders the organ was rebuilt in 1899 by Giuseppe Bergomi of Brescia, Italy. Bergomi completely redesigned the organ. Thus, the organ's functionality improved somewhat, but lost its Sicilian-Baroque character.
The historically credible, professional restoration was performed by Robert Buhagiar in 2001, restoring the original character of the organ.
|# of uploads with organ:||1|
|# of users uploaded using organ:||1|
Fuga per organo (Popup Player)