|Producer:||Forestpipes Virtual Organs|
The former Augustinian canon monastery of St. Arnual, which
was converted into a Protestant monastery during the Reformation, goes
back to the village of Merkingen, which the Merovingian King Theudebert
II gave to the Bishop of Metz, Arnual, around 600. The first documented
mention of the monastery dates back to 1135. Around 1550, the canons
turned to the teachings of Martin Luther and demanded a reform of the
monastery from Count Johann IV of Saarbrücken, which he forbade. He
transferred the assets of the monastery to a separate foundation and
thus dissolved the monastery. As he died childless in 1574, the county
of Saarbrücken fell to the Protestant cousins from the Nassau-Weilburg
line, who introduced the Reformation in 1575. Since 1896 Sankt Arnual
has belonged to Saarbrücken. The present collegiate church was built
from 1315 to the end of the 14th century. It was renovated in 1886 - 88,
during which time it was given a baroque tower dome and an organ loft.
Due to the Saar expansion in the 1980s, the church almost collapsed,
because the choir room, unlike the nave, is located on the alluvial soil
of the Saar and was in danger of sliding away.
The church was stabilised
and renovated over a 15-year construction period, including
archaeological excavations. The first organ in Sankt Arnual was built by
Oberlinger Orgelbau in 1888. It had 22 stops on mechanical windchests.
This instrument was replaced in 1938 by a mechanical slider chest organ,
also with 22 stops, by the firm Emil Hammer. However, the pointed
arches, which reinforced the statics, prevented the sound from spreading
optimally into the nave. So, as the crowning glory of the church
renovation, an organ was to be built which would compensate for these
deficiencies in the best possible way. At the same time, the Saarland
University of Music and Theatre was looking for new possibilities for
teaching and concerts.
In contrast to the existing organs from Klais and
Schuke in the conservatory, the new instrument was to enable the
presentation of French symphonic music of the 19th and 20th centuries.
The contract was awarded to the Swiss company Kuhn, which built an organ
with 44 stops on three manuals and mechanical slider chests. The stops
are controlled electrically. The new instrument was inaugurated in 1995.
A closed case with angled pipe fields allows a very good sound
propagation into the nave.
|# of uploads with organ:||36|
|# of users uploaded using organ:||10|
In Dulci Jubilo (Denis Bédard) (Popup Player)
Widor 5th Toccata + Adeste Fideles: Improvisation on "O Come, All Ye Faithful" (Popup Player)