he Harry and Helen Ehrich Organ at Pasadena Presbyterian Church is one of the largest and finest instruments of its kind in Southern California. It plays a major leadership role in English-language worship and is used in Korean-language worship, as well. The organ is also one of Southern California’s most important teaching instruments and is used several times each year for organ recitals as part of the church’s Friends of Music series. Built by the Æolian-Skinner company of Boston, and recently renovated by local organ builder Robert Turner and the Schantz Organ Company of Orville, Ohio, the organ includes more than 6,000 separate pipes arranged in 111 ranks (or “sets”) and is an excellent example of the “American Classic” school of organ design. An American Classic organ design attempts to include sounds suitable for the performance of music from the various historic and national schools of organ compositions in one large, comprehensive instrument. This organ was built for PPC’s 1908 sanctuary and replaced an older instrument built by the Murray Harris firm of Los Angeles. It was designed in the late 1940’s by G. Donald Harrison of the Æolian-Skinner Company and then-organist David Craighead. In 1947 the four-manual console was purchased, but funding for the pipework was preempted by the building of the Parish House and Freeman Chapel. For almost fifteen years this new console was used to play the old Murray Harris organ. In 1961 the new organ was finally installed—108 ranks—with some revision of the original stop list by Joseph Whiteford, president of Æolian-Skinner, and Robert Prichard, PPC’s organist at that time. The new organ included the large main organ, much as it is now installed, along with a small “echo organ” of 14 ranks in the rear gallery of the church.
|# of uploads with organ:||37|
|# of users uploaded using organ:||5|
Prelude & Fugue #14 in Db (Popup Player)