Chorzów is a city in the Upper Silesia region of Poland. It is situated in a metropolitan area which in the past, in the 19th and 20th century, quickly developed thanks to discovery of large coal deposits. Because of that development, many cities were quickly growing. That’s why many churches and pipe organs were built during that time. In those days the most popular style in pipe organs was romantic, symphonic style with tubular-pneumatic action.
The church was built in 1874 in neo-romanesque style. The original organ had tracker action, maybe 2 manuals and around 28 stops. Probably the builder of the first instrument was Adolf Volkmann. It is likely he also built the small 3 stop positiv, which originally was located in a cemetery chapel nearby. It is unknown in which year the organ was relocated to the church’s choir loft. Currently it is unplayable, but there are plans to renovate and move it to its original location. It can be seen on the picture on the right side, below the right tower.
In 1908 the new organ was built by Martin Binder & Sohn company, integrated into the old organ case. Probably some pipes from the previous instrument were used for the new one, for example the I Rohrflöte 4′ and II Gedeckt 8′ have both construction of double rohrflute. If you look at the stoplist of Lipiny organ from this website (made by Volkmann), you will see in the first manual division that there are two Doppelrohrflöte stops (8′ and 4′). Martin Binder company built new windchests and added a new enclosed 3rd manual (Echowerk) located on the top of the middle part of the case. The organ probably had 45 stops when it was built. One year earlier (1907), in the same city, another instrument with 45 stops for Kościół św. Józefa (the church of St. Joseph) was also built this company. Only 3 instruments of this organ builder remained in Poland – two in Chorzów and one in Brzeźce, which is around 40 km away where he built a 25 stop organ.
|# of uploads with organ:||9|
|# of users uploaded using organ:||3|
Choral-Studien 'Wer nur den lieben Gott lässt walten', Op. 116 (Popup Player)